Radex was a recording studio and record label owned and operated by Dexter Witt in Freeport, Illinois from 1953 until at least the 1980’s. The operation started in Witt’s apartment but eventually moved to the 3rd floor of the Cheeseman building (now the Lincoln-Douglas Center) at 10 N. Galena Ave in downtown Freeport. When asked about the name Radex, Witt said it came from the first syllables of "radio" and "Dexter."
The label's first commercial release. an LP by the Embury Methodist Church choir, came out in 1957. In a 1969 article in the Freeport Journal-Standard, “Witt estimates he makes approximately 10,000 records yearly under the Radex label from 40 to 50 masters. Small quantity processing is done in the Freeport studio and large orders are final-pressed by RCA Victor. Tapes brought in by individuals are put on the ‘Realm’ record label.” The article added that Radex’s biggest rock and roll album was made by the Nomadds in 1965 which sold 1,000 copies.
By 1977, the studio had relocated to 217 W. Stephenson in Freeport. Witt also sold and repaired stereo equipment at the location. In 1980, Witt relocated the studio to 802 S. Chicago Ave in Freeport. An article in the Sunday Register Star (Rockford) describes the new studio as “an ultra-modern recording studio in the firm’s fourth location, in the back of a stereo and electronics store Witt owns.” Musician Dan Peterson was listed as the studio’s manager at the time. The article mentions that “Radex can either record cassette tapes in the studio or cut a master record and arrange for stamping album copies elsewhere.”
It is not clear when the recording business stopped or if it ever did. Witt continued on with the Radex Stereo business, with the final location being 890 W. Galena Ave in Freeport. Witt passed away in January 2023 at the age of 96.